Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Training in Kingston for Antarctica

I began my journey to Casey Station in Antarctica at Kingston, Tasmania in September 2005.
On the second day after arriving I was subjected to a massive IT course where I think I crammed about a years worth of IT/Network Management training into two weeks. That was a steep learning curve, but my time spent working with (and without) Manga - my IT Guru in Newcastle - combined with my studies over the last year stood me in good stead and the training all actually made sense and gelled quite easily. Oh dear, I am now well on the way to being a certified Geek – How sad is that!? :op
After the head explosion of IT training it was nice to get out of the classroom and inot the fresh air for a Riggers Training Course, which was a heap of fun. It’s been a while since I climbed a tower but once I was hooked in and started to climb it all came back. As long as you are confident in your equipment, the heights really do not matter at all. In fact I didn’t even notice – except that the view was fabulous! - and just kept on climbing to the top. Mind you, our antennas at Casey are 3 times as high as the tower I trained on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home