Sunday, February 26, 2006

9th december 2005

Today I have seen about 60 Orca whales in various pods. I have sean Leopard seals and their pups I have watched Orca - killer whales - circling an iceberg where penguins were sitting and moving in for the kill. Orcas hunt in packs and work together as a team to get their prey. Very very horrible to watch - for me anyway - but it is nature after all. I wanted to go and stop them, but of course, we aren't allowed. I love the little Adelli penguins. They are just SO COOL!!!! I have seen them on their own and in groups and in pods and porpoising (? Spelling) Been a hell of a day.
I have stood at the Bow of the ship for two hours with my headphones on encapsulated in a wonderful bubble filled with the sound of Bernard Fanning while watching the pack ice being broken up by the amazing strength of the Aurora: all the while Icerbergs of all shapes and sizes flowed by. The sky was the most amazing blue, there wasn't a breath of wind and the sun was warm. It was the MOST amazing day I have ever withnessed. (Yes I WAS dressed in my summer Antarctic coat and my bright orange beanie, but only over Jeans, a thin thermal top and sneakers) I also saw the BIGGEST iceberg, we passed it at about 200metres. It was aprox 2.5miles long, about 0.5miles wide and about 50metres high. It was the most amazing site to see.
In fact I cant even begin to desribe the wonder that has been this voyage today. It has been amazing. Until you come to this place there is no way of understanding the beauty and majesty that is down here. It is truly awe inspiring to say the least. I wish I could relay it to you, but no words could ever describe it fully and nothing could ever convey the feeling and experience of this place. I am very bloody lucky to be one of the few who are able to come here and do this.

Ha, there are two Emporer and two Adelli penguins outside my porthole right now on an ice flow. They are so funny, they look at the ship for a little bit, then get all stressed and run around in circles flapping their little wings, then they run straight over the edge of the ice into the water. So funny to watch them. Adellis are definatley my favourites! Very cool little creatures indeed?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home